This cherry plate has been sitting on my bench for at least a year now with no particular purpose. It was time to move it along. I wanted to see how well the cherry would take dye and wasn’t really impressed with the results of the green but once on there, it stays on there. The perfect solution was to flowerize it. My wife has now claimed this piece.
The magnolia was so much fun to turn, let’s just say one good turn deserves another. This one has a base and lid turned from some sycamorere that I cut into boards last year. The spindle is Brazilian Cherry. I just got a big load of maple this week so that will be used for quite a few upcoming projects.
I have a lot of projects going on in different stages. Many are back logged waiting for lacquer and the weather has just not been cooperating with me. This piece was from a log someone left me that I thought was poplar due to the grain and coloration but the donor showed up and told me it was magnolia. What a joy to turn it was. The whiteness screamed for color but the grain patterns were wonderful. This one wanted an indigo blue which I had to custom mix from some batik dyes I had been wanting to experiment with. My wife thought it was the best color job yet. With practice comes proficiency. I was able to take it outside and put a sealer coat on yesterday since it was sunny and fairly warm but the winds were a bit much to do a lot of spraying so I have 2 other projects waiting in the wings.
I had colored many pieces of this spalted oak so I wanted to leave one natural — it hurt because I so wanted to color a project this weekend (I eventually did and will post that later). Of course there is some color if you call black a color. Any other wood I had that was the right size for the lid would have had too much grain pattern to conflict with the look of the spalting so I decided to use Sycamore and dye it black (with India ink of course) and then use the oak for the spindle to carry the look upwards. I wanted the spindle to be more delicate but it was a bit punky which is one of the characteristics of spalted wood. The whole piece is coated with lacquer.
I got an unexpected free day in the shop when we awoke to a good snow storm. I finished several works in progress and even had a bit of time to play a bit. This time with acrylic paints on a black ink background. This bowl was a “toss away” since it had a big gouge in it so it was perfect to practice on. After the “spatter job” I coated the whole think in satin finish lacquer.
Another black bowl, this one with the top left natural. I originally was going to make the top black but the piece of cherry looked so nice natural that it seemed a shame to blacken it. I did have an industrial spill with the ink making a Rorschach Test on the plywood floor where I was working. The spindle is more of the cherry which is ink stained as well. Bowl is maple and measures about 7″ in diameter.
I still had a small piece of that spalted oak sitting around basically taking up space. The grain was much too nice to chunk it so I arrived at a shape that both the wood and I could work with. There was a lot of black in this piece and the grain was all over the map which made for a pretty interesting dye job. It also needed a bit of a base to keep it stable so with the lid and base I used some cherry off cuts making this whole bowl a scrap project. There was a lot of “rippling” in the finish due to the nature of oak so I had to wet sand after every 4 coats of lacquer. I think I may have to go another 2 or 3 yet to get the totally flat surface.
To paraphrase Donovan Leitch, Blue is a color I rarely use. This time I wanted a straight up blue bowl. I also wanted to try out my new air brush which worked fine but I still need practice to get the blends I want. Of course, the inside is natural with clear coats of shellac. This is the butt end of a piece of sycamore that was used for the last spittoon project. At this point it only has a sealer coat and will be wet sanded today and multiple coats of lacquer applied. I’m thinking I may keep the top as a matt finish and gloss up the bottom section. We’ll see how that looks. I’ll add more photos when complete.More Views and comments
I had no idea what was was in this stump when I put it on the lathe. What I found was some really nice spalting and figure. It seemed a little plain so I used the same epoxy as was on the unnatural edged bowl to add an accent ring at the top. The color was perfect to accentuate the piece. This again was a defect driven piece. I had to turn away some junk and ended up with the shape you see. I also brushed on multiple coats of lacquer and rubbed them back to a satin sheen so filled the loose grain well and feels smooth. Still on the project a day plan but in the meantime I have done more than one. I had to do multiples of the Ebony No Ivory piece because everyone seemed to want one.