This bowl started out as a short bowl with a rim right above the ash banding. I thought the proportions were way off so I cut the rim off and added another layer of walnut and shaped it out like you see here. At 8″ diameter it is a bit larger than the pots I usually turn. I did have multiple requests for one of these so the design must be acceptable. I did learn a few tricks on this one that should speed up subsequent pots. I decided that maple would be a better wood for the banding though since the grain in the ash is a bit too grainy.I decide this was too shiny and ended up with a wax finish – well actually 4 coats of wax on the final project.