This piece was made as a memorial piece for my mother-in-law since I didn’t feel confident enough yet to do the actual cremation urn. It was tuned out of sapele and actually has a seam going in both directions. I laminated two 8/4 pieces to get the thickness I needed. The vase is tall and the easiest way to hollow it was to cut it in half, hollow each half and then glue back together. I had intended to use some decorative banding to mask the horizontal seam but it so effectively disappeared that I could really find it without looking “real hard”. This is my tallest vessel yet standing in at 11″. It could easily be the quarter pounder (without cheese of course). I did use a bit of dye on the base and top spindle. The lid is walnut.
Leave a reply