I have been on again and off again about this experiment using my power carver. Everyone else seems to like it so I went ahead and made a lid so I could take it up to the store and get it off my bench. I believe the wood is Black Cherry but not positive as it was from a log left outside my shop. Same with the lid which appears to be some rot damaged maple.
I’ve seen several other wood turners using the metal reactive paints and wanted to try for myself. Good old Santa left some in my stocking this year so I rushed out to the shop to try and was absolutely blown away by the results. I did try several methods to apply the paint – first coat I used a sea sponge, not perfect. The second coat I used a foam brush but I still detect “brush strokes”. I think on the next I will spray the paint on to get a smoother copper finish but after applying the activator most of the brush strokes are only apparent on close examination. This one is a late Christmas gift for my son who is a metal artist — he should appreciate it!
I’ve had a slab of Locust that has been hanging around the shop for over 25 years. I had forgotten how gorgeous the grain is in this wood. The rings are Milliput – a 2 part epoxy putty. This particular color is actually make for repairing terracotta pottery. The bowl is quite heavy as I wanted a wide rim.
After a lengthy vacation and getting the shop ready for cold weather I was finally able to complete a couple of projects. This piece of oak (or maybe pecan) was sitting out behind my shop for a long, long time and when I cut into it I found some very nice spalting. It was a bit “spongy” which necessitated gluing a piece of hardwood on the bottom for good attachment to the lathe but I rather liked the look so I turned that into a foot. I also didn’t want to go too small so I left the bark inclusion on the side which also added to the appeal of the piece. I have more photos which I have yet to process of this and some other piece of late.
After battling a post-trip head cold I was finally able to make some dust. This project I actually started before leaving and finally finished up. Had a few short boards of what I suspected was black cherry. the grain was so figurative that I had to use them in a pot. The only ways was to do another segmented one. I think this urn gives you the idea. The smaller pieces are more of the maple counter top that I made the other segmented vessels from. The top and bottom are the standard cherry I usually use.
I hadn’t done a totally segmented piece for some time. I have had a tonne of old maple counter top sitting in my shop for 25 years and this is the perfect kind of project to start using that up. Each piece in the counter top was 2″ x 2″ which dictates the size of the segments a bit but I only used about 1 1/2 ” for the height of each. The grain figure is very pronounced and the cherry accents it very well. The cherry has been out there even longer as I had a few boards left from when I fabricated cherry trim for my family room 30 years ago.
I had a great time at the the tour and met a lot of very interesting folks. The weather was gorgeous after anticipating hurricane conditions. I was also able to sell 20% of my inventory on hand, so I have been working hard to replace the items I sold to have plenty for the holiday season. I often get on a theme and keep it up so I used up some more of my spalted wood stash to go back to my “honeypot” design from a couple of years ago. This piece is spalted oak with sapele top and bottom and would be perfect for holding tea bags or anything else you may have in mind.
Getting ready to work the Oxford Artists’ Studio Tour on Sunday, from noon to 4 PM in Oxford, MD. Will be sharing space with Sean Wells who is a fantastic painter! Hopefully it will be a learning experience for me in more than a few ways. I am delighted to move some inventory from the shop — more than 30 pieces. Some have been shown here, some not.